This past weekend I was asked “What do I do when I don’t feel like my workouts are enough anymore?”
This happens to everyone. We all plateau and recognizing when we’re plateauing is the first step to moving past it!
How does it feel to plateau?
You feel like you’re going through a routine and it doesn’t feel like it used to. Things that used to be hard, seem a little easier and your physical changes have seemed to come to a hault.
What do you do about it?
The obvious short answer would be to do something different. Here are some options that I rely on:
- If you’re focusing solely on high intensity training or cardio, one option is to try a different form of cardio or my recommendation is to start resistance training.
- Weight Training (resistance training) is the perfect plateau crusher because now your working a different part of your muscle than you were with cardio.
- If your currently only doing resistance training switch it up for some cardio or a different style of resistance training
- There are so many forms of weight training out there! For example, the person who asked this question said she works out at home and feels stuck. I suggested 2 things to her:
- She should either take her current workout and add more weight to it. When adding more weight it can be tricky to figure out what’s too much and what’s not enough. I suggest seeing what weight you can do 20 reps of and then see what weight you can do 5 reps. Then meet in the middle and that’s the weight you should be able to get 8-12 reps out.
- Because she may not have the extra weight at home, do a more focused version of each exercise (ie slow down a squat so you can really feel it when you go down and then slow back up). So even just changing the speed of your exercises makes a difference.
- Rest days- sometimes taking a break for a day or two makes a huge difference. Our muscles need a break and it’s hard to remember that sometimes. I’ve felt the best during a workout right after I take a day or two to recoup.
Have a great day!